Thursday, June 27, 2013

Getting a weaving studio

I have been told that since I follow a few blogs and do a lot of hand work that I should start a blog. 

Well, the best place to start is with a new beginning. 

I am a weaver, spinner, knitter, beader and sewer.  Crochet and machine embroidery.  I think that my husband has been looking for a project and a way to get my "stuff" out of the house. 

My studio idea started with a conversation between me and a visitor to the "WeGO" traveling exhibit in Jacksonville, OR.  This woman had traveled from Azalea, OR, about 50 miles away, to see this exhibition of wonderful work from Oregon weavers.  She told me that she had recently retired and had built her weaving studio with a kit from Pacific Yurts.  I came home inspired and started looking at their website with my husband.  I don't know what inspired my husband except that he felt that he could build a bigger and better building for less cost.  Thus, out came the graph paper and slide rule.  After visits to Lowes and Home Depot, searches on Craig's List and phone calls to builder friends my studio has begun.

This past week I attended the ANWG conference in Bellingham, WA and when I came home what I had left as a graded spot in my goat yard with concrete piers had become the beginnings of my studio.  My one request has been lots of windows and a solar tube for lots of light.

In the meantime, I continue to weave in my upstairs room watching my studio emerge from my window.

6 comments:

  1. Whoo Hoo!!! finally you have started your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Both the new blog AND studio. Wait, one of those "goats" doesn't look like the other.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, is that you?! Congrats on the new blog and I love that you are getting your very own weaving studio! I'm jealous... maybe one of these days Nick will build me a studio too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to be able to watch your studio grow from the ground up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I am so impressed by your blog....you are terrific!!!Mary G.(Pat's sister)

    ReplyDelete