Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Latest on the Loom



Work on the studio has slowed.  The lights in the back half of the studio aren't working.  My dear spouse discovered this after the drywall was finished and painted.  Our construction helpers have gone on to other jobs.  We need the floor installed before I can move anything in. While waiting for the studio to be completed, I continue to weave in my little room in the house. 

Back in June I attended the biannual ANWG conference in Bellingham, WA.  For at least the past two conferences one of my favorite vendors, "Newton's Yarn Country" has offered tables and tables of tempting fiber.  The warp for my latest weaving is a variegated cotton flake yarn from this vendor, about 980 yards of it to be precise.  The weft is an aqua cotton flake yarn from my stash.  I feel great that I am using some of my newly purchased fiber with something that has been sitting on my shelf calling to me.

I threaded the eight harnesses of the loom in a combination twill , (draft # 727) from "A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns from the Friends of Handwoven", edited by Carol Strickler and started weaving away.  Because of the grist of the fiber, my cloth is weaving fairly quickly.  My intended use for my fabric:  a jacket or vest, depending on the yardage and width of my finished cloth. 

Stash reduction!  Does this mean that I can buy more fiber?

4 comments:

  1. I believe you are allowed to buy more fiber now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, because you will inherit all of my left over stash and studio...but not for a while.

      Delete
  2. Stash reduction seems a valid reason to buy more fiber to me, Kathy :) You would not want to run out at a crucial creative moment! I found you through Cindie's blog. You two make me feel homesick for my fiber friends in Crescent City, CA. Have you met Sally Glen. Thus far I have only woven potholders and friendship bracelets, and my skills in the fiber/sewing arts are VERY elementary, but I love working on all sorts of projects [SLOWLY :)] and I love bumping into fiber folk in cyberspace, too. I started a blog two years ago and found Sarah and the Moon's blog in England which then led me to find Cindie who introduced me to you! Fun! My mom and youngest daughter were/are nurses, also. The material you are weaving is amazing!
    Is the smoke affecting your area as well? Wishing you more happy productive days, Gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gracie. Yes, the smoke is affecting my area as well, although last night we had the blessing of a few rain showers. Cyberspace is a great place to connect with fellow creators/weavers. Cindie has been my inspiration for many things including starting my blog. She and I are both relocated "East Coasters" and found each other through our local weaving guild. Weaving has always connected me with people and I am so thankful to participate in this ancient human craft. Happy to share with you.

    ReplyDelete