Monday, August 5, 2013

DKNY--Move over New York


I learned to construct clothing when I was seven years old.  I believe that my grandmother got me started by teaching me to make doll clothes for my Madame Alexander doll by hand sewing scraps from my mother's collection of fabrics.  Frequently I had the opportunity to spend two or three weeks with my grandmother during the summer in her country home in Gretna, Virginia.  My grandmother, Ginny Franklin, was a quilter and had a wonderful treadle sewing machine that I used to construct my first summer top.  I don't believe that we used a pattern, just two rectangles of cloth that would fit my young figure.  This was the start of my relationship with sewing and fiber.

Well things have progressed since then.  My oldest sister, Cynthia, became my sewing mentor, teaching me further skills beyond what my grandmother taught me.  I have had a life long relationship with patterns, fabric and sewing machines.  I have made prom dresses, coats, suits, pants, blouses, skirts, men's shirts, women's dresses, draperies, table cloths, bedspreads, baby clothes, clothing for my children, quilts, purses, totes, bras, panties, slips, etc.  You name it, I have tried it. I have a closet full of cloths, many of them constructed by me.  So why do I keep sewing ?  I love the challenge and there is nothing more challenging than a Vogue Designer pattern. 


My latest creation is a Donna Karan design from Vogue, #V1287.  I selected this pattern because I thought the design would be figure flattering and would be comfortable enough to wear on many occasions.
 

The pattern back shows the line drawing of the two piece outfit of a dress and slip.
 
This year I brought with me my "wish to construct" file of pattern jackets so when I purchased fabric at the Sewing Expo in Puyallup, WA, I would have a project and goal in mind with required yardage for any purchase.
 
This is what I found.  For my slip:

 
For my dress:
 
I had very little alteration to do to this pattern.  The dress fits comfortably and will be easy to travel with and wear.  The pattern suggest a stretch silk crepe for fabric.  I made my garments of stretch poly print for the dress and embroidered cotton lawn for the slip.  I bought the fabric at the Expo from Vogue Fabrics.  I would be happy to sew this pattern again but next time I will do it in silk.


1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your sewing history... stuff I didn't even know ;)

    The dress is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete