Monday, July 29, 2013

My Intimate's Story

I have been on a roll with sewing lately.

Over this past weekend I have resumed consuming my recently bought fabric stash to make more bras and panties. Thanks to Bravo Bella bravo bella I have started down the road of making my own bras and panties.

True to my promise of using newly purchased fabric I decided this weekend to make another beige cotton bra and use fabric that I purchased from the Mill End Store of Portland, Oregon for a bra and panties ensemble.


I used Kwik Sew pattern # 3881 for my hipster style panties and Queen Bra Elite pattern tailored to my proportions for my bra. 

Since I have made about six custom bras in the past two months, I decided to do something a little more challenging.  I covered my Powernet band with the same tricot fabric that I made my bra cups and panties with.  This was a challenge since the fabrics are very stretchy and slippery.  The end results were worth it though.  I now have matching bra and panties.  Bravo Bella sells kits that include all elastics, channeling for the underwires, hooks and eyes to finish your own fabrics into custom bras for about $4.  Underwires can be purchased as well for $1.25.  About a $10 investment with purchased Powernet will turn your fabric into a unique creation.

Moving right along, I had also purchased several lengths of swim suit jersey thinking this would make some fun lingerie.  I decided to use my black and white print for my first attempt using this fabric.


I had some smoke gray Powernet and decided because of the strength of the jersey fabric not to cover my Powernet with my swim suit fabric.  One tip I would like to share is when sewing jersey or tricot fabric be sure to use a needle in your machine for stretch or jersey fabrics.  Your needle will make all the difference in the quality of your stitching.  I also used silk glass headed pins to hold my fabrics together as I stitch.  I found these little gems at the Sewing Expo in Puyallup, WA this past year.

I have two more lengths of fabrics destined for bras and panties, but these will have to wait.  I am going to attempt dying the elastics and trims to match the Powernet I have purchased for these under garments. A whole new world of comfort and fun has opened to me as I make my own bra and panties.  I heard someone comment that they will never go back to purchasing a bra again.  I quite agree.  This is fun and very useful sewing.  I am a happy camper!

3 comments: