Monday, July 29, 2013

Gifting

 I have three sisters.  Every year I attempt to make something special for their birthdays.  Two of my sisters are twins.  All of my sisters have their own special skills.  All three of my sisters sew, two of them quilt, one is a doll maker, two of them knit and all three of them crochet.  I am the only one of them who have learned spinning and weaving as part of my fiber skills.  The scarf above goes to one of the twins and is a special gift as it comes from both me and her twin.

So let me tell you about the scarf.  It is composed of 120 individually crocheted leaves attached in four rows by crocheted stems then sewn together.  It took me about two days to press and stitch all of the rows and leaves together.  The end product was worth the time investment.
What makes this scarf so special is that the fiber comes from the oldest twin's stash.  For the past year she has been battling advanced cancer and has not been sure from day to day if she would be given another holiday, birthday or day to enjoy.  She loved this cotton fiber--the color and sheen. I took it from her last August and promised that I would make something for her twin, Mary, as a gift from both of us.  So here it is just in time for a fall birthday.


I found the pattern for this on the Vogue Knitting website.  It is pattern #17 from Issue Crochet 2012.  I would make this again, but using handspun merino/silk perhaps with some beads mixed in.  Happy Birthday, Sis!

3 comments: