Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July



I have two sisters who are quilters.  My mother's mother was a quilter.  So, I suppose that I should say that I am a quilter.  This is not the case.  I consider myself more of a weaver and spinner, although I do dabble in quilting.

I have a wood stove with a brick wall.  I love to make small wall hangings to decorate this space.  I have several quilted wall hangings that celebrate seasons and holidays.  For over two years I have been collecting fabrics to make a patriotic quilt.  This was one of the first projects that I took off my "to do" list when I retired in January. 

I had seen a kit in a catalogue several years ago with all of the fabrics and directions to construct this little quilt.  I went on line immediately when I saw it and was unable to order it.  I called customer service and was told by a very nice lady that the kit had sold out even before the catalogues hit the mail.  Well, not be defeated, I saved the picture of the wall hanging and started to collect fabrics similar to the ones included in the kit.  So this January, with only the measurements of the width of the quilt, I started to design my "Fourth of July" quilt.

I have been fascinated always by free motion quilting.  After piecing my top, I decided to use this as a piece to hone my free motion quilting skills.  I have taken a "Craftsy" course taught by Leha Day of Daystyle Designs.  She had a wonderful course and some wonderful tips.  I really enjoyed myself and am ready to try a more challenging project.

I have spend most of my morning cooking for my stepson and his family, due here any minute from Tennessee.  I have a delicious Zucchini and pasta recipe that I will eventually share.  Just wanted to take a few minutes to recognize the birth of our nation and wish you a happy 4th of July.

3 comments:

  1. Your 4th of July quilt looks terrific.......although it's not the first time I've seen it, I got a close-up look and the free motion quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated 4th of July! Awesome job being resourceful with the quilt! And I'd call you a quilter; I do remember a zillion quilts in our house at a kid! I think every room had a quilt on the bed made by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fact that you took matters into your own hands, found fabrics that would work for your project and then accomplished the task. Very cute wall quilt, nice job!

    ReplyDelete