Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"BRA"vo



I don't know about you, but lately I have been having a difficult time finding a well fitting and COMFORTABLE bra.  This past March I attended the "Sew Expo"Sewing & Stitchery Expo, Puyallup, WA.  Talk about a place for fiber addicts! There was a booth and a presentation by a company called "Bravo Bella".  An hour and half demonstration by one of the owners on stage wearing only her custom made bra for a top had dozens of women convinced to buy her products to custom fit and sew their own bras.

I had walked by the  "Bravo Bella" booth at least five times before I was ever able to get into the stall to look at the products. Now, while I never attended the presentation, I heard marvelous things about the kits, videos, patterns and trims to make your custom fit bras.  I took the plunge and for $90 bought a packet which included the pattern for my shape of breast, two instructional videos, and two complete bra making kits which included the under wires, fabrics, elastics, hooks and eyes and powernet.  The instructional videos covered personal fitting, pattern alteration and tips for fabric selection in the 1st video.  The second video detailed step by step construction from fabric cutting through finishing a completed bra.  I don't think you can purchase a ready made custom bra for $90.

My first bra was a red one.  I watched the videos and followed along.  I believe that it took me about eight hours from fitting myself, tracing the pattern, cutting the fabric and constructing the bra while watching and pausing the video.  In the end, I had the best fitting and feeling bra that I have put on my body in a long time.  Not only that, I looked like I had lost weight. This was enough to convince me.

With success under my belt (or above the belt as the case may be) I proceeded to construct more bras.  I think I made the next three bras in about eight hours, start to finish.

While my company was here and had taken off for the afternoon to sightsee, I cut out and constructed a white cotton bra.  This time I constructed from memory without reference to the video or notes.  I am having a lot of fun with this!

This was one of the best investments I have made in my wardrobe.  I have tweaked the pattern so that my bras fit my body and I have bought some fun fabrics for future under garments.  (To be brought to you later in future post)

Check it out.  Nothing feels like a well fitting bra!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! My favorite bras at the moment are from Gap. I like their T-shirt bras and the wireless. They are super comfy!

    ReplyDelete