Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What to do with too much Zucchini



No post since 4th of July.  What's up?  Company is up, that's what!

We had family visit from Tennessee from the 4th thru this past Tuesday.  My husband lends a hand at our local community garden and the volunteers get to bring home some of the garden's fresh veggies as a reward for their help.  The day before my husband's son arrived with his family, my dear spouse brought home a 4 lb. eight ball zucchini squash.  Oh dear!

I have a daughter who is a blogger: http://www.healthylivinginthecity.com. I guess you would consider her a food blogger among other things.  She tries and reviews recipes from her collection of cookbooks.  One of her "go to" cookbooks is one that I gifted to her: "Recipes from a Kitchen Garden" by Renee Shepherd & Fran Raboff (owner of Renee's Garden formerly known as Shepherd' Seeds).  This also sits on my shelf.  So when I found a 4 lb. zucchini perched on my kitchen counter I quickly pulled Renee's delightful book off my book shelf and decided on this dish below:

Zucchini and Basil Pasta Salad
 
(excellent as a main dish or side dish with barbecued meats.  
Makes wonderful picnic fare.}
 
4 medium zucchini, very coarsely grated (about 4 lbs.)
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
6 cups chicken stock
3/4 lb. orzo pasta
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1//4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, Asiago or hard Monterey jack cheese
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
 
Sprinkle zucchini with salt in a colander and toss.  Let stand 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.  Squeeze zucchini dry.  Transfer to a large bowl.
 
Blend basil, oil, garlic and oregano together well in a food processor or blender.  Add to zucchini; reserve.
 
Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large pot.  Add orzo and reduce heat, cooking until orzo is just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.  Drain well. 
 
Stir the pasta into the zucchini mixture.  Add the lemon juice, grated cheese and parsley.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
 
Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.  (Serves 8)
 
 
 
 
This makes a bunch, enough to feed a crowd.  When my step son asked: " So where is the zucchini?"  after he tasted this dish, I knew I had a "winner".  We have eaten it both warm and chilled. With the hot weather, I think it taste the best chilled.  For meat or seafood lovers, add some cooked chicken or shrimp.  It is delightful all by itself.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out Mom! Looks delicious and this is the perfect season for zucchini! I'll have to give this recipe a try too!!

    ReplyDelete